FMCSA safety campaign – Share the Road Safely
From Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration:
The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) continues its efforts to raise public awareness so that all drivers know how to operate safely around large trucks and buses through a newly formed partnership under the Our Roads, Our Safety campaign.
“FMCSA is pleased to work with a group of partners that are dedicated to safety and share our agency’s goal of reducing crashes, injuries and fatalities involving large trucks and buses on the road,” said FMCSA Deputy Administrator Daphne Jefferson. “This important partnership amplifies the message that all drivers on the roadway must work together to ensure that everyone arrives safely at their destinations.”
The American Bus Association, AAA and the American Trucking Associations have joined with FMCSA to amplify the Our Roads, Our Safety effort to educate all pedestrians, bicyclists, passenger vehicle drivers and commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers on how to better share our roadways and improve safety for all.
There are several simple actions passenger vehicle drivers should take while sharing the road with large trucks and buses:
- Stay out of the “No Zones” or blind spots at the front, back and sides of the vehicle
- Make sure they can see the driver in the mirror before safely passing
- Don’t cut in close while merging in front of a CMV
- Stay back a safe distance to avoid being in the blind spot
- Anticipate wide turns and consider larger vehicles may require extra turning room
- Stay focused on the road and avoid distractions
- Lastly, be patient driving around large trucks and buses
For more information, go to www.sharetheroadsafely.gov