News release from the American Trucking Associations on Aug. 15, 2015.
St. Louis – Today, Ronald Emenheiser, Sr., a Walmart Transportation professional truck driver based in Yorkana, Pa., was named 2015 Bendix Grand Champion at the 78th annual National Truck Driving Championships and National Step Van Driving Championships, hosted by American Trucking Associations.
“All the competitors who took part in the National Truck Driving Championships are champions – they are champions for safety on our highways and for our industry’s image,” said ATA President and CEO Bill Graves. “And while I applaud all of them for their achievements and dedication to safety – I want to especially congratulate Ronald for winning the Bendix Grand Champion award with his superior driving skill and commitment to safety.”
To win the coveted title, Emenheiser’s driving skills and knowledge of transportation and truck safety information topped those of 430 other professional drivers from all across the United States in the “Super Bowl of Safety” sponsored by ATA.
Emenheiser, who won the sleeper berth division, has more than 25 years as a professional driver. He first competed in his state truck driving championships in 2006, and this is his second trip to the National Truck Driving Championships. He succeeds Jeffrey Langenhahn, a professional truck driver with Con-way Freight, as the Bendix Grand Champion.
ATA also honored Brook Figgins, a professional driver for FedEx Freight, as the 2015 Rookie of the Year after competing in the sleeper berth division. The Wisconsin driving championship team won honors as the highest scoring state.
This year’s NTDC featured 431 competitors from all 50 states, representing 85 different companies. Together, these champions of safety have driven more than 665 million accident-free miles.
In their respective classes, drivers tested their expertise in the driving skills they use daily. The competition course inside the America’s Center Convention Complex and Edward Jones Dome challenged their knowledge of safety, equipment and the industry. The skills course tested drivers’ ability to judge distances, maneuver tight spaces, reverse, and position their vehicle exactly over scales, before barriers or around curves.
2015 National Truck Driving Championship Winners:
Grand Champion: Ronald Emenheiser, Walmart Transportation, Yorkana, Pa.
National Rookie of the Year: Brook Figgins, FedEx Freight, Trinidad, Colo.
State Team Trophy: Wisconsin
Vehicle Condition Award: Ricky Boone, Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc., Candler, North Carolina – 3-Axle class
Neill Darmstadter Professional Excellence Award: Douglas Padgett, Robinson Terminal Warehouse Corp., Alexandria, Virginia – Flatbed class
Life-Time Volunteer Award: Susan Webb, Wisconsin Motor Carriers Association
Straight Truck Class
- First Place: Jeremy Steger, Con-way Freight, Plymouth, Wis.
- Second Place: Loren Hatfield, ABF Freight System, Inc., Maumelle, Ark.
- Third Place: Ernest Budlowski, Con-way Freight, Shelton, Conn.
- First Place: Donald Logan, FedEx Freight, Eskridge, Kan.
- Second Place: Dwayne Heaverin, FedEx Express, Dry Ridge, Ky.
- Third Place: Paul Butkowski, FedEx Freight, Sauk Rapids, Minn.
- First Place: Bradley Lester, FedEx Freight, Happy Valley, Ore.
- Second Place: David Hall, ABF Freight System, Inc., Austin, Ark.
- Third Place: James Quarles, Walmart Transportation, Laurens, S.C.
- First Place: Eric Ramsdell, Walmart Transportation, Wittmann, Ariz.
- Second Place: Chad Rudesill, FedEx Ground, Tickfaw, La.
- Third Place: Basher Pierce, FedEx Freight, Sophia, N.C.
- First Place: Scott Woodrome, FedEx Freight, Middletown, Ohio
- Second Place: Roland Bolduc, FedEx Express, East Longmeadow, Mass.
- Third Place: John Wiley, Walmart Transportation, London, Ky.
Tank Truck Class
- First Place: Brian Singelais, Sr., A. Duie Pyle, Inc., Webster, Mass
- Second Place: John Maddox, Jr., Ergon Trucking, Inc., Stringer, Miss.
- Third Place: David Magee, FedEx Freight, Huntingdon, Tenn.
- First Place: David Mogler, FedEx Freight, Commerce City, Colo.
- Second Place: Gerald Thompson, Con-way Freight, Grand Island, N.Y.
- Third Place: Jeffrey Langenhahn, Con-way Freight, Plover, Wisc.
Sleeper Berth Class
- First Place: Ronald Emenheiser, Walmart Transportation, Yorkana, Pa.
- Second Place: Wayne Gootee, Walmart Transportation, Brooklyn, Mich.
- Third Place: Eric Courville, FedEx Freight, Breaux Bridge, La.
- First Place: Andrew Tuck, FedEx Ground, Xenia, Ohio
- Second Place: Nick Frazier, FedEx Ground, Granby, Mo.
- Third Place: Dean Harris, FedEx Freight, Shawnee, Kan.